Food Licence

Mount Isa City Council takes the responsibility to ensure all food provided by the food business for sale is safe and suitable for human consumption.

Individuals, businesses and not-for-profit organisations that are involved in food sale or give away are required to handle, store, display and sell food in a safe manner to comply with the Food Act 2006.

The Environmental Health department conducts regular inspections and audits food businesses to monitor the food safety and hygiene standards of local food businesses.

Certain food items have exemptions for licencing under the Food Act 2006. Contact Council, or see below, for food business licence requirements.

Do I Need a Food Licence?

Any business, enterprise or activity (other than primary food production) that involves the handling of food intended for sale, or the sale of food, regardless of whether the business, enterprise or activity concerned is of a commercial, charitable or community nature, or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only, must obtain a relevant food licence from Council.

Certain food items have exemptions for licensing under the Food Act 2006, contact Council for licence requirements.

A business operating from a fixed premises, including a café, restaurant, take away food shop, bakery, home business, child care centre, fruit and vegetable shop, food manufacturer, or caterer, requires a food business licence.

A business providing tables or chairs on public land for outdoor dining requires a footpath dining permit.

A food business operating from a temporary set-up on an occasional event, such as a fete, fare, festival, market or show usually lasting a matter of hours or days.

A food business operating from a mobile premises designed to be movable from place to place, including food vans, caravans, trucks, trailers, etc.

A business that provides catering services (either on-site or off-site) must have a Food Safety Program accredited by Council.

Fact Sheets / Application Forms