Using Water Wisely
Mount Isa City Council invites the community to be part of this water conservation campaign, get informed and rethink their water use on day-to-day activities.
Save Water at Home tips:
- Take a shorter shower.
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Use the half flush when appropriate.
- Don’t flush rubbish and other waste down the toilet. This wastes water and causes significant sewerage blockages which require large amounts of water to clean up.
- Avoid pre-rinsing dishes for the dishwasher – a good scrape is usually enough
- Only use the dishwasher when it is full. A dishwasher uses the same amount of water regardless of the number of dishes in the dishwasher.
- Avoid peeling vegetables under running water. Use a bowl of water or rinse once peeled.
- Only use the washing machine with a full load and on the most efficient cycle.
- Fix dripping taps quickly.
- Check for a leaking toilet cistern.
- Choose water-efficient washing machines, toilets, shower heads, dishwashers and other appliances.
- Check the water rating label of your appliances.
The Water rating label is designed to help you make informed choices about the water efficiency of products you are buying. It is regulated under the Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) scheme. https://www.waterrating.gov.au/
More information about water saving tips:
Download document: Home water audit
Download document: Efficient irrigation fact sheet