Water Conservation Campaign


Published: 22nd March 2022

To coincide with World Water Day today, Council has launched  its new  Water Conservation Campaign. World Water Day is held on March 22 every year. It focuses on the importance of water, and taking actions to tackle the global water crisis. Clean, fresh drinking water is one of life’s inescapable necessities, but 97.5% of the world’s water is locked in seas and oceans, too salty for human use, while most of the remaining 2.5% is in the ice caps. Surface freshwater only represents around 1% of total global water. The importance of water is undeniable and there is only a limited amount of freshwater available.

The Water Conservation Campaign will demonstrate the simple actions that everyone can practice, and to establish conservation habits at home. Education on conserving water is essential universally as it ensures water supplies are utilised wisely and responsibly. The reduced rainfall and the impacts of climate change demonstrate the need to act. Council invites the community to rethink their water use and be reminded about the importance of minimising water use in day-to-day activities. More information about water conservation and specific recommendations about saving water at home will be soon available on Council’s website.