The Mount Isa City Library provides a variety of collections and services to members, from books, audio-visual materials, e-books, digital resources, toys, rhyme time and story time, children activities, historical collection and research service, computer and internet to study space.
Please follow the Library’s Facebook page for the latest information.
The Mount Isa City Library maintains a number of special collections to enable access by people with special needs.
Large Print Books
A wide range of large print books are available for all patrons to borrow. These books have larger than normal typing, which makes them easier to read if you have eyesight problems. Westerns, romance, thrillers, and biographies are accessible in larger print.
Bestsellers, biographies and language instruction are also available on compact discs.
Languages other than English
Book and audio resources are available in languages other than English for all patrons to borrow. If the Library does not currently hold the language you require, a selection can be obtained for you.
For the full list of available languages visit the State Library of Queensland.
For children, the library has access to a range of digital picture books in other languages.
The Mount Isa City Library has a rich collection of information resources on Mount Isa City, mining history and local newspapers. These are available to be viewed in the library.
The library also manages the online imagery platform Isa in Images. It contains thousands of photos, videos and documents about Mount Isa.
Requests and Inter-Library Loans
If the Mount Isa City Library does not hold the particular title you are after, library members may suggest items for purchase. The library reserves the right to assess each suggestion for purchase.
Another option is borrowing items from another library (Inter-Library Loan). Most Inter-Library Loans are free, but in some cases, a fee may be incurred. You will be consulted before a fee-incurring request is made.
Every effort will be made to ensure your request reaches you as soon as possible, however, waiting times may be long due to circumstances beyond our control.
Computer and Internet
The Mount Isa City Library has 11 computers available for booking. Members can book up to two hours at a time. Pre-booking is available by phoning 4747 3350 after 9.30am. External storage devices can be used in the Library computers.
You may also connect to free Wi-Fi with your own laptop or portable device.
Printing and photocopying services are available. Charges apply.
Special conditions apply to use by children 16 years and under. For further information, please read the internet policy.
The library has a meeting room for the public to access at no cost. The meeting room has a capacity of 20 people in a classroom setup (no tables) or 10 people in a workshop setup (with tables). To be eligible to use a Mount Isa City Library meeting room, the reservation request must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Users belong to a community group operating on a not-for-profit basis (excluding political and religious groups).
- The event/activity undertaken in the meeting room is non-commercial, does not promote services or products for sale and does not aid or facilitate the present or future generation of business revenues.
- Users operate or work for a small business in Mount Isa and use the meeting room for non-revenue-raising purposes (i.e. business meetings, business development or coworking).
- Users provide community benefit training activities on a cost-recovery basis (i.e. first aid training).
Meeting Room Terms and Conditions
- The meeting room is only available during Library opening hours, 9.30am – 5.30pm Mondays - Fridays, 9.00am – 1.00pm Saturdays.
- Community groups who wish to hold on-going meetings should apply to the Library Coordinator for approval.
- The room is set up for self-catering with tea and coffee making facilities available (urn and small fridge). Users can bring their own tea, coffee, milk, snacks, plates, cups, and cutleries.
- Meeting-room users are requested to leave the room clean and tidy.
- In case of cancellation or change of time, users should contact the library as soon as possible.
- The use of the meeting room shall be subject to cancellation by the council (with or without notice) in the event of a national emergency, council function or any other matter necessitating such cancellation, and the decision as to the necessity of such cancellation shall be at the discretion of the council.
1-on-1 Technology Help
Mount Isa City Library offers 1-on-1 Technology Help service to solve your technology-related questions. Services include:
- Set up and navigate smartphone
- Learn how to install and use apps
- Assistance with popular computer software applications
- Learn tips and tricks for productivity software
- Discover new software tools for specific tasks
- Troubleshoot common issues (e.g., connectivity, battery, etc.) and software-related problems
Sessions must be made two working days in advance. Each session is one hour.
Reservation can be made by phone call: 4747 3350 or in person.