Under regulations, all owners of restricted breeds of declared dangerous dogs are required to hold a permit for each restricted dog they own.
Regulated Dogs are dogs that have been declared:
Restricted Dog Breeds are classified as (as outlined in Chapter 17A of the Local Government Act 1993):
- Pit Bull
- Fila brasilerio
- Japanese Tosa
- Dogo Argentino
Dogs that attack people or other animals are liable to be declared as 'Dangerous and Menacing Dogs' by Council’s Local Laws Rangers. Declared Dangerous and Menacing Dogs in the city of Mount Isa are allowed to be kept, but under strict guidelines (as per Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008).
There are a number of restrictions and requirements imposed upon owners of Regulated Dogs, including:
- The owner cannot sell the animal
- The animal must be desexed (declared dangerous or restricted breed dogs only)
- The animal must be muzzled in public
- The animal must be kept under effective control at all times by a person physically able to control it (i.e., Children are not permitted to 'walk the dog' in public.)
- The animal must be kept on a leash at all times when in public, or tethered to a fixed object and continually supervised by the keeper.
- The animals are prohibited from using 'Off Leash' areas unless they remain on a leash.
- The animal must wear its identification tag at all times.
- The animal must be maintained within an appropriate enclosure at the residence to which the permit applies.
- A public notice must be visible at the entrance to the residence where the dog resides
For enquiries or to make a complaint, or for afterhours emergencies, please call Council on 0747473200.