Council maintains the shoulders, footpaths and median strips of State and Federal controlled roads. We don't maintain the roadways (seals, guideposts, vegetation etc), this is maintained by a contractor of the State Department of Transport and Main Roads. These roads are:-
- Federal Controlled - Barkly Highway from Kalkadoon Park bridge to the Telecom Tower access road north east of Mount Isa
- State Controlled - Gregory Road from Camooweal township to Burke Shire border.
- Railway Ave/Powerhouse/Diamantina Developmental Road from Grace St traffic lights to the Mount Isa boundary on the Diamantina Developmental Road.
- Camooweal/Duchess Road from Grace St to 4.8km along the Duchess Road south of Mount Isa.
Roadworks within the Shire
The Urban Construction Crews carry out the following tasks:
- Kerbing construction for city works. (Crew is also available for hire)
- Drainage construction.
- Footpath and bikeway construction.
- Beautification work such as paving, water barrier installations etc.
- Road construction work.
- Large scale Council assets repairs and maintenance work.
- Large scale signage installation/update programs.
The Urban Maintenance Crews carry out the following tasks:
- Repairs to Kerbing and footpaths.
- Repairs to access pits and pipes
- Signage and Vandalism to Council property.
- Mowing and slashing of Reserves
- Line marking and Bitumen patching
- The Rural Maintenance/Construction crew undertakes the upkeep of all Council rural roads.
The Rural Construction/Maintenance Crews are responsible for rural road construction work including drainage.