Mount Isa Water Board (MIWB) is a registered water service provider, established as a Category One Water Authority under Chapter 4 of the Water Act 2000 to operate as a commercialised statutory authority. We are responsible for the supply of quality bulk water to industrial customers and Mount Isa City Council.
The Board of MIWB is made up of five directors including four nominees of the Department of Energy and Water Supply (DEWS) and one nominee of the Mount Isa City Council. MIWB undertakes the following water activities in accordance with the Water Act 2000 requirements:
- conserve, store and supply water in bulk to local authorities and industrial customers;
- take measures to protect the quantity and quality of present and future supplies of water;
- investigate and plan for future infrastructure requirements;
- construct, operate and maintain water infrastructure necessary to meet customer demands; and
- administer and manage property under its control.
MIWB also acts as Trustee for the R48 Water and Recreation Reserve, a major catchment area around Lake Moondarra which is the city’s primary water source. R48 Reserve provides a sanctuary for wildlife and popular leisure areas, where MIWB maintains a number of recreational facilities including picnic and play areas and water sports facilities. The Board became the Trustee at the request of the Department of Natural Resources and Mines.
The number of customers currently served by MIWB is not anticipated to change in the foreseeable future. MIWB’s customers include:
- Mount Isa City Council (MICC)
- Mount Isa Mines (MIM)
- Incitec Pivot
MICC supply is assured in accordance with standards set by the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines.
Visit the Mount Isa Water Board website