$281,000 in Funding to Help Council Get Ready for Waste Levy
Council has been successful in receiving the full amount of funding it applied for under the State Government’s 2018-19 Local Government Levy Ready Grants Program, which will assist the Mount Isa Waste Management Facility and Camooweal Refuse Facility to be prepared for the introduction of the Waste Levy on July 1.
Council will receive $273,600 to undertake preparation work for the Mount Isa facility, including:
- The relocation of the current gatehouse and an upgrade of connections – $54,514;
- Upgrades to computer software – $24,600;
- The installation of security cameras, to capture vehicles’ number plates and load areas – $5286;
- The demolition of existing traffic medians, the installation of new traffic-control signage, the construction of new traffic medians and completion of line markings – $58,925;
- A new back-up generator – $56,982;
- An upgrade of the current internet connection – $8,650; and
- The construction of new barriers between the landfill and other areas – $39,770.
Council was also successful in applying for $7,499 in funding to upgrade and secure the fencing and main entrance gate at the Camooweal Refuse Facility, which is now being run under a new management strategy.
“To receive 100 percent of the amount we applied for is great news and will assist in getting the infrastructure at our Mount Isa and Camooweal waste facilities up to scratch before the Waste Levy is implemented on July 1,” Mayor Joyce McCulloch said.
“That date is fast approaching and, overall, we are meeting our project deadlines and should be ready for the many changes that will come into effect next month.
“This is thanks to the dedication and focus of Council’s staff members who have been working hard for months to ensure Council is prepared and ready for everything that comes with implementing this State Government levy.”
The funding was made available through the State Government’s Local Government Levy Ready Grants Program.
For more information, please call Council’s Waste Management team on 4747 3200.