Camooweal Cemetery - picture: www.queensland.com
The Mount Isa City Council operates and maintains two cemeteries in its district and these can be located at:-
Mount Isa Sunset Memorial Cemetery
Located at the end of Sunset Drive driving northwards of the city, the cemetery comprises of a Lawn Section and a Conventional Section. The two sections are maintained by a Sexton and an assistant. The Sexton is based on site and can be contacted for any inquiries regarding regulations and grave site locations (Mon-Friday 7am-6pm).
Please be aware that:
- Gates will be shut each evening at 6:00 pm and reopened the next morning at 7.00 am
- No dogs or animals are permitted in the Cemetery Grounds.
- In the Lawn Section, flowers and ornaments are only permitted in the provided vase space. Council reserves the right to remove any material from the grave headstones or beams if it is not placed in the appropriate supplied space. As Council has limited resources that it can call upon to maintain the huge area that comprises of two cemetery, visitors are asked to assist Council by following the requirements listed on a sign placed at the gated entrance to the cemeteries.
- Only Council approved headstones are to be installed, other structures and ornaments may be removed by the Council at the owner’s cost.
- Council shall not be responsible for keeping any grave monument, headstone or other surface structure, in a cemetery of a type other that a lawn cemetery, in repair and proper order.
Access to the historical Camooweal Cemetery is by the Barkly Highway (between Mount Isa & Camooweal) and the turn off is to the North approximately 0.5 km from Camooweal.
For more details regarding grave locations etc., contact the Council's Customer Services in Mount Isa on 4747 3200.