The sole objective of your application is to convince the selection panel that you are the person they are looking for to fill their vacancy.
While there is no ‘right way’ of preparing your written application, you should consider the following:
- Applications should be easy to read – typed or neatly hand written. Vital information might be lost if the selection panel are unable to read your application during the short listing process.
- Don’t waste your money on presentation folders, plastic covers, binding, etc., simply staple in the top left hand corner.
- Make sure your application is addressed properly.
- Ensure you include the job title and the reference number on your Job Application Form (when supplied).
- Keep your originals! Only copies of your licences, certificates, qualifications, etc should be forwarded with your application as these are kept with the recruitment file and are not returned to you.
- Read the How to Apply page very carefully. This will tell you what information the panel requires from you. Failing to complete the required documentation may result in your application not being shortlisted.
You may be asked to provide the following:
- Job application form
- Current resume
- Copies of relevant qualifications, tickets and/or licences
- Responses to key selection criteria (can be found on the back of the postition description)
Let’s look at these in more detail.
This is a brief summary of your details including:
- Telephone Numbers
- List details from most recent to past – include your university, college and/or school;
- training courses and/or;
- other qualifications.
- List details from most recent to past.
- State the employer’s name and how long you were there.
- State your position and the key duties involved in the job.
Additional Information, examples:
- First Aid certificates
- Drivers Licences
- Operators Tickets, etc
- Referees: You are required to provide the name and contact telephone numbers of two (2) work related referees who can provide objective and honest feedback about your work experience and performance, and where possible, how it relates to the position requirements. Preferably these referees will be your current or most recent supervisor.
Job Application Form
You must fully complete the Job Application Form, attach your resume and applicable qualifications. Check the cover sheet for further information.
The Selection Panel will use all the information provided in your application, resume and attachments provided, but will concentrate on how you have demonstrated your ability to meet the position requirements through an analysis of your qualifications, skills, abilities, experience and knowledge.
Depending on the nature of the role, if you do not meet an essential position requirement you may be excluded from further consideration for the position.